The Cha Project to launch a long-term, sustainable waste management drive for Old Chinatown
What is The Cha Project’s biggest challenge? Garbage in the Tiretta Bazaar area and, in particular, a huge garbage vat right in front of Toong-On Church, a heritage building.
The Cha Project is launching into a comprehensive waste management programme that includes:
• finding better garbage disposal solutions;
• working with the local government and the community in developing achievable solutions that do not burden the poor and small businesses;
• understanding the role of ragpickers and sorters and ensuring a better livelihood and standard of living for them;
• creating the necessary awareness among residents and businesses on garbage separation and composting;
• providing the necessary tools for a cleaner environment.